In January 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has implemented new electronic system called Express Entry to manage applications of skilled immigrants for permanent residence based on their ability to settle in Canada. Express Entry is a modern online system selecting candidates for immigration to Canada.
Express Entry is not an immigration program on its own, but is used by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to select candidates to immigrate to Canada through a variety of economic immigration programs, namely:
- The Federal Skilled Worker Class
- Federal Skilled Trades Class
- Canadian Experience Class, and
- Select Provincial Nominee Programs
Candidates in the Express Entry pool are ranked based on the Comprehensive Ranking System, where points are awarded based on the following criteria:
- Core human factors
- If applicable, the accompanying spouse, or common-law partner factors
- Skill transferability factors, and
- Factors in relation to provincial nomination or a qualifying offer of employment
Under the Comprehensive Ranking System, there is a total of 1,200 points available to candidates, and the Canadian government will select these candidates from the Express Entry pool according to each individual ranking score.